The purging of closets has created a need for simplicity…a return to basics. And, since I’m a list-kinda-girl, I created one to keep me in check. There are tons of essential lists out there..I gathered them all together and modified it to satisfy my daily routines (ie: stay home mom’s don’t often need suits). Feel free to make one yourself and share or use this one as a reference.
- Black tank-top: whites are a standard and get stained quickly so I always have a stock of inexpensive ones on hand. But black tanks can be dressed up with a maxi, worn under a denim jacket, used as a bathingsuit cover-up, the possibilities are endless.
- Short-sleeved black and white t-shirts: Again, a stock of inexpensive white and black t-shirts are perfect dressed up with a statement necklace, or worn casual with everyday shorts.
- Long-sleeved black and white shirts: Perfect for chilly nights, a long sleeve cotton shirt should be fitted well, not too big, but not clingy either.
- White button down shirt: I admit this entry is lacking in my closet currently. Keeping an eye out for a well-fitted shirt, preferably with 3/4 sleeves for busy hands.
- Cardigan: I wear my grey cardigan over a graphic tee at least once a week…I also often wear an orange cardi simply because the color makes me happy. Cardigans are easy to layer when unpredictable weather arrives (like it often does here in PA)!
- L.B.D: Aka the Little Black Dress. Go cotton and casual and/or more dressy, a LBD is a must have wardrobe piece. Timeless, classic, dress it up with pearls and a blazer or dress it down with converse and a fedora. It can handle anything.
- Jeans: Every lady knows her perfect fit..I’m curvy petite. The perfect jeans fit well in the back and no need for cinching the waist. Black, blue, distressed, flare. A good pair of jeans are priceless.
- Black pants: Another gaping hole in my closet. Looking for a well made pair (built to last several washings), ends at the ankle, and have a flat front.
- Denim jacket: My denim jacket gets so much rotation…worn with a dress, white or black jeans, my jacket ends at the waist and has a short collar. Classic.
- Ballet flats: Easy to slip on and go…looks dressy or casual. Kick it up by adding a leopard print pattern, sparkles, or studs.
- Cowboy boots: Another slip on and go shoe…I snagged an inexpensive pair at a shoe depot, but my girlfriend, Jen splurged and bought a legit pair that will last her a lifetime. I love them with tights and a tunic, any pair of skinny jeans, dressed up or down.
- Neutral wedge or heel: I’m a wedge girl, myself. They make me feel taller and the arch is uber flattering for date night or girls night out.
If you’re a list girl like me, I hope you enjoy the focused help! I could add shorts, yoga pants, sweat pants. and skirts, but they seemed like obvious extras. If I was stranded on a desert island and had to look good every day, these essentials would have me covered!
Lisa & Allison